Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I need to work on Easter, but instead

made a dress for H. It is out of stashed broadcloth, the poly-cotton type that ends up washing out soft and is pretty wrinkle-free out of the dryer, like men's shirts can be. I think the cloth came from a garage/estate sale. Buttons from stash, vintage, from the thrift shop. She picked them out, liked the duckies with headcloths on. Snaps at the back neck, french seams, handmade bias tape arm and neck openings, slipstiched on the inside. Sometimes the bias "waves" sometimes not, I may have twisted it a bit in sewing it down. I used Butterick 4176 in size 3. I loved this pattern for my oldest daughter, so I bought the little sizes in a Hancock's 99 cent sale. It's a keeper/TNT for me. I plan on a few more dresses as I have time for her, she loves them and I love making them out of fabric that needs no/little ironing. I also made bloomers for underneath.


KID, MD said...

When I saw this on FB, I was sure it was a vintage pattern! I have this one in stash, but just hadn't gotten around to it. I definitely have to sew it now - my Myra is finally big enough!

Sewcountrychick said...

This is sweet little dress and yes that poly cotton fabric you are using was used a lot in the 60s and 70s

Julia said...

How cute!

Jaime said...

Hi there,
Just passing through. I saw your comment on another handmade dress site and wanted to pass along a giveaway that's going on on my blog for a SUPER cute pattern.
Just though I would let you know.
Fun blog! Sorry for the random comment!